My Top 5 Masks and Scrubs | Budget and High-end

by - Tuesday, February 07, 2017


I don't know about you but I love using a mask or a scrub every week in addition to my everyday skin care routine. They are the type of products that are fun to apply and at the same time, they make you feel like you are taking good care of your skin. The products you see above are my top 5 masks and scrubs that I use weekly on rotation depending on how my skin is feeling at that time. I know it might seem a little bit extra but I  just really love using these! (I couldn't think of another excuse lol 😄)

I have a variety of masks and scrubs and each of them have different functions. Like I said, I switch between all of these depending on my skin condition and sometimes whatever I feel like using for that day. I also thought you should know that my skin type is oily and sensitive meaning my face gets oily throughout the day and my skin tends to get irritated easily resulting to red and itchy spots. Don't worry though because most of these products are good for all skin types. So here are my picks:


My top 5 masks and scrubs
1. Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off - I had my cousins pick this up for me from Korea and this, along with the Innisfree one, are some of the most hyped Korean beauty products out there. I haven't been using this for the longest time but I have to say, I love it! Although it's a scrub, it's not harsh at all on the skin and it's actually very gentle. The cool thing about it is as you massage it onto your skin, the granules slowly dissolve and melt on your skin and once you rinse it off, it leaves your face feeling smooth and clean.
Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off

         What it is: The Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off is an exfoliating scrub with tiny sugar granules
         Claims: Promotes smooth, glowing skin
         Skin Type: All skin types
         How to use: On the packaging it says to massage onto damp skin after cleansing and leave for 10-15  minutes (I usually just wash it off after around 3-5 minutes.), then rinse it off with water
         Price & Availability: It's available in althea.kr for ₱330 but I'm sure you can find this at any Skinfood store here in Metro Manila
         Pros: Inexpensive, good for sensitive skin, effective for physical exfoliation
         Cons: The only thing I don't like about this product is the scent! It sort of smells like a car freshener which I'm not a fan of but honestly, I don't mind too much since I care more about how well the product performs on my skin.

2. Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask - Yet another popular Korean skin care product, the Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask is a wonderful product that lives up to its hype. I use this mask when I feel like my pores are clogged and needs a little bit of tlc. The texture is a bit odd in that it's much stiffer that the usual clay masks that I'm used to but nonetheless, it spreads out easily on the face. This one is especially great for combination to oily skin types.
Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask

         What it is: It is a clay mask that has Jeju Volcanic ingredients said to be effective for pores
         Claims: Great for controlling sebum and deep cleanses the pores
         Skin Type: Combination, Oily 
         How to use: After cleansing, apply on dry skin on areas with enlarged pores or all over the face. Leave for 10 minutes then rinse off with water
         Price & Availability: Unfortunately, there are no Innisfree stores in the Philippines so for now you can only buy it online from althea.kr for ₱560. If you don't have a credit card, you can buy from one of my favorite instagram online sellers shop.pibu
         Pros: Effective in deep cleansing the pores, gentle on the skin, no noticeable scent
         Cons: I haven't really noticed if this helped in controlling my face from oiling up

3. St. Ives Apricot Scrub - I think this is such an og product in that almost everyone has either tried it or have heard of it. Out of all of my top picks, this scrub is the one I've used for the longest time and probably one of my all time favorite scrubs as you can see in the photo how dirty it already is. The beads of this scrub are larger than those of the Skinfood one but I never found it to irritate my skin at all. I think it does a great job in exfoliating the skin and is so good for acne-prone skin types.  
St. Ives Apricot Scrub
         What it is: A scrub with 100% natural exfoliants used for treating acne
         Claims: Blemish control, treats acne, prevents blackheads, minimizes pores, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, oil-free, formulated without parabens & phthalates, dermatologist tested (that's a lot of claims 😅)
         Skin Type: Combination, oily, acne-prone 
         How to use: Apply to damp face and lightly massage onto your whole face then rinse it off with water
         Price & Availability: Around ₱200-₱300+ from Watson's
         Pros: Effective in cleansing the pores, has acne fighting ingredients like salicylic acid, easily accessible, inexpensive
         Cons: None!

4. Philosophy Total Matteness Pore-minimizing & Mattifying cleanser + mask - I got this from Duty Free a while back because the name "total matteness" was calling out to me. This is the second most used product in this list next to my St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It is also the most expensive one in my list but it's a great dual purpose product if you're looking for a cleanser and mask in one. Personally, I just use this as a weekly mask. I like the texture of this clay mask compared to the Innisfree one since it's more liquid-y making it easier to apply on the skin.
Philosophy Total Matteness Pore-minimizing & Mattifying cleanser + mask
         What it is: A clay cleanser and mask you can use daily or weekly
         Claims: Minimizes and unclogs pores, mattifies skin, multi-tasking product
         Skin Type: Combination, Oily
         How to use: If using as a cleanser, apply on damp face and massage onto skin then rinse off with water. To use it as a weekly mask, apply on dry skin and leave it for 3-5 minutes then rinse it off
         Price & Availability: You can get this at Sephora for ₱1,595. You can also buy it from Duty Free like I did for $29, that's around ₱1,439 depending on the exchange rate
         Pros: Dual purpose, effective in unclogging pores, gentle on the skin
         Cons: Expensive, not very accessible, I haven't found it to minimize my pores or mattify my skin

5. Sheet masks - I love sheet masks! It requires a bit of extra time but I just enjoy using these products the most. The ones I have are from Naruko and the other one is a pasalubong (or souvenir for my foreign friends out there) from my friend Toni when she went to Taiwan. Both are Taiwanese brands. I have talked about Naruko sheet masks from my favorite products of 2016 which you can read here but basically it's the best sheet masks I've ever tried. It has a cooling effect on the skin and I've found my skin to be so smooth and bright after using it. The other one is also an awesome sheet mask from Taiwan and unfortunately the brand name on the packaging is in Taiwanese so I couldn't really find it online but I figured if any of you are going there by any chance, then this would be a great sheet mask to get. It is moisturizing but it doesn't leave a sticky feeling on the face.
Naruko Tea Tree Shine Control & Blemish Clear Mask
         What it is: Sheet masks (I'm pretty sure you know what these are)
         Claims: The Naruko Tea Tree Shine Control & Blemish Clear Mask claims to balance oil and prevent acne while the Taiwan sheet mask claims to be brightening
         Skin Type: All skin types
         How to use: Take the mask from the packaging and apply on the face then leave it for 10 minutes before removing it. No need to rinse. Use these in the evening as the last step to your skin care routine or when you want to prep your skin before makeup.
         Price & Availability: Naruko sheet masks are available to buy as a pack of 8pcs at Watson's for ₱599, I got mine with a free essence from their Rose line. They are also available individually if you want to try it first. You can also purchase it from their website here.
         Pros: Not sticky, leaves soft feeling to the skin, Naruko one is good for acne while the Taiwanese one is good for brightening
         Cons: None! 



I'm hoping this helps you decide if you have been looking for a good skin care product to add to your routine. My next post will be about my daily skin care routine where I will talk more about what I use, the order I use them, and a few tips on how to build your own skin care regimen. If you have any questions about the products above or if you have any suggestions for my next post, please comment down below!



You May Also Like

0 comments